Sunday, February 14, 2010

Childhood Memoirs and Memories




When I first read about Carly's "Round Robin" Photo challenge of Childhood Memories, I signed up for it thinking, "Piece of cake....". But when I went to do it, I became very sad and actually took a whole different approach. I spent a really long time going through my archives and created a rather adorable collection of various children's photos I've taken over the years. And yes it was cute, but it wasn't personal, and it certainly wasn't MY childhood memories. It seemed like an easy way out for me but I couldn't do, just for that reason.

I thought about why I was so sad since I had wonderful memories from which to draw. The reason was that the best parts of my childhood were intrinsically connected to my mother. As many of you know, she passed away several years ago.

So I decided that rather than post a collage of other people's childhoods, I simply wouldn't post at all. What a cop out THAT would be....and I expect more from myself than that.

Today is Valentines Day, and every year, my mom would get me just a little something to show her love for me. But not only did she give me things on Valentines Day, she gave me something every single day we shared in this life. Intangible things mostly....whether it was in a gesture, the way she listened, the way we giggled, or even in the tender ways she told me I wasn't being the person she knew I could be.

My mom used to like to travel, as I do now too. When she'd go away to, she'd always bring me back a gift or two....it made the pain of her being away slightly more managable. I always cherished those gifts...those times she showed she was thinking of me no matter how many miles were between us. I'm hoping she's still thinking of me today.

The above photos show just some of the presents that my mom gave me....some from other countries, others from our special times together....each with very different meanings. For example, the ballerina in the snow globe was from the time she took me to see "The Nutcracker Suite" in NYC, when I was not yet a teenager. The little lamb was something she secretly helped me to purchase when I didn't have the money for , but had fallen in love with in the windows of Cold Spring Harbor, NY, during the snowy holidays. (She "hired" me to teach American Sign Language to the kids in the school where she taught....funny how the amount she paid me was exactly the cost of that little lamb).

Anyway, I'll stop now, but the memories are endless....even if the lamb's fur wears thin...or the music fades from the wind-up mandolin.

It's Valentines Day and her love remains with me. May you all know that type of love at some time in your lives....

10 comments:

Martha said...

What a sweet post Nance. I know how much you miss your mom. I feel the same way about my dad. Oh man, I didn't think there would be tears this Valentines Day, but here they come.

Ok, composure mostly regained now - I hope you and hubby are having a happy Valentine's Day *Hugs*

Sage Ravenwood said...

I think was absolutely perfect. It's exactly what I would think of in terms of childhood memories. Your mother sounded like a beautiful soul. Thanks for sharing sweet friend. (Hugs)Indigo

Monica said...

What a sweet touching entry, that made tear up. =) This was perfect in every way. I'm glad you did this afterall.

Unknown said...

Awwww Hugs

Ann

Gattina said...

This little lamb is so cute ! From my childhood I only have the dolls and a dollhouse left.

Toon said...

Very touching. I've always found that people who remember their childhoods vividly are some of the most creative, thoughtful people you can know. :)
Russ

Jimmy's Journal said...

What a beautiful thought and a wonderful tribute to your mom. I'm sure she is smiling down at you.

Jimmy

Karen Funk Blocher said...

What a wonderful, personal entry. I'm glad you didn't drop out or take the easy way out.

Wine and Words said...

I wish I had...know that kind of love. Thank you for sharing it. It is a way of knowing.

I LOVE THIS: "I'm a 47 year old woman with a 25 year old spirit and an 85 year old soul." Me too. me too! I think we're soul sisters!

Unknown said...

What a sweet post. I'm sorry that your mom is no longer with you. I'm positive that she's thinking of you now.

The photo slideshow was poignant and sweet. That little lamb tugged at my heart strings for sure!